BLT BUILT DESIGN AWARDS: ARCHITECTURE
An architect should strike a perfect balance between creative expression and functionality; architecture is taking the intended project use, such as the lifestyle and preferences of the occupants, then shaping these, translating and executing until a final form is achieved, based on the times, beliefs, and education. Architectural design is one of our species’ oldest creative sciences, whose roots are lost deep in prehistory — and today’s architects continue to build upon thousands of years of innovation and creativity.
However, the importance of architecture can hardly be defined in just one paragraph — its effect on our lives is a causal sequence, like falling dominoes, cascading through every aspect of our lives.
Through BLT Built Design Awards – Architecture, we recognize the undeniable impact architecture has in our daily lives. With 22 categories, from Small Architecture to Landscape Design, or Skyscraper to Sustainable & Energy Saving Building, the award gives credit to the important contributions of passionate architects, inviting entries from around the globe.
Architectural Design of the Year: Professional
Emerging Architect of the Year: Student
The Architectural Design of the Year category is an aesthetically impressive project, showing clear evidence that the many challenges of today’s world are taken into consideration. These challenges include the demands of increasing populations, creating a sustainable ecosystem for smart cities, continuing and rapid urbanization, and unprecedented climate crises.
Students and young designers are also encouraged to apply for a chance to be awarded the title of Emerging Architect of the Year. This prize is awarded to the student who has demonstrated a new vision and extensive devotion to architecture.
The Architectural Design of the Year and Emerging Architect of the Year winning projects will be showcased to a global audience, be featured in the BLT book, and be given the opportunity to share more of their vision and project in winner’s interviews. They will also receive the BLT Built Design Awards trophy, enjoying continued and extensive publicity throughout the year, in addition to:
- Inclusion in the winning media campaign, targeting industry professionals and potential clients worldwide
- Feature in the BLT Awards newsletter sent to over 100,000 design professionals, and leading architectural and interior design firms
- All-year-round profile in the BLT online architecture directory, making it easier for clients to find and contact your company
- Winner Certificates (Digital)
- Winner’s seal to promote your win online — add it to your professional signature and throughout your printed material
- Commercial Architecture
- Cultural Architecture
- Educational Buildings
- Religious & Spiritual Buildings
- Healthcare / Wellness Facilities
- Heritage Architecture
- Hospitality Architecture
- Residential Architecture
- Social Housing
- Emergency and Temporary housing
- Speculative and Visionary
- Industrial Buildings
- Bridges / Public infrastructures
- Institutional Architecture
- Mixed-Use Building
- Recreational Architecture
- Restoration & Renovation
- Small Architecture
- Urban planning: large integrated projects
- Landscape Architecture
- Sustainable & Energy Saving Building
- Others Architectural Projects
Entries can be submitted as conceptual designs, in progress, or as completed projects. The only restriction is that entries or completed projects must be no more than five years old.
Entries should include images of each side of the building or environment along with the contextual surroundings. Please include floor and small-scale site plans showing the project in its context. Where a project is a group of buildings, entrants should provide a rendering that illustrates the complete project. If the entry concerns an alteration or restoration, please include both before and after images.
Submissions can be made as a professional or as a student. Winners are chosen based on a single project – not for a body of work.
- Provide a brief description of the Architecture or implementation
- Provide a Designer/ Student and/or Company Profile / University
- Give names of those who should be credited for the Architecture or Interior Design (i.e. company, designer, construction company, managing group, developer, mentor, professor, etc.)
- Up to 10 images of your project in Architecture, including an optional company logo
- Include floor and small-scale site plans showing the project in its context.
- If the entry is about an alteration or restoration, please include both before and after images.
- Architecture Specification PDF (Mainly for projects that are not yet in Business, provide specification, site details…etc) – recommended
The BLT Built Design Awards are open to anyone aged 18+ residing anywhere in the world. Professional entries will be judged against other professionals and student entries against other students.
For more information please check the FAQ page.
The evaluation process for entries to the BLT Built Design Awards is based on various judging criteria. These are constantly adapted and updated, in response to new technical, social, economic, and ecological requirements. The criteria are not comprehensive and not all criteria are applied to each project, they simply provide an orientation framework and basis for judging — which is complemented by each individual juror’s expertise and socio-cultural background.
Each member of the jury is passionately committed to providing a fair evaluation. Jury members are assigned categories based on their specific background and expertise. All projects are viewed and judged randomly and anonymously, in order to ensure unbiased and fair judging.
The judging criteria include the following:
- Aesthetics — form, shape, color, texture, finishing, the material used, etc
- Innovation — does the design provide something new to the market or supplement/improve an existing structure?
- Practicality / Functionality – ease of cleaning, safety, maintenance…
- Ergonomics — How is the interaction with the client? Space optimization?
- Durability — the quality and longevity of the design and Architecture
- Impact — the benefit delivered to the client and/or society by the Design
- Integration — about the integration of the project to its local environment
- Ecological compatibility — potential environmental and/or ecological impact
- Emotional quotient — in addition to fulfilling its practical purpose, does the building create a sense of enjoyment, satisfaction?
The BLT Built Design Awards scores projects between 10-100 points.
ENTRY FEES 2022
- Professional CHF 260 incl. VAT ( approx: US$280)
- Same entry in additional categories at a 50% discount
- Student CHF 80 incl. VAT ( approx: US$87)
- Same entry in additional categories at a 50% discount
No Further Fees: Unlike some other design awards and competitions, there are no further fees for winning the award: everything listed in the winner’s benefits will be provided free of charge.
DEADLINES: 2022 BLT Built Design Awards
- 10% Early Bird discount until the 30th of April 2022
- 5% Extended Early Bird discount until the 31st of May 2022
- Regular Deadline: 31st of July 2022
- Final Deadline: 18th of September 2022 (10% late fee applies) till closure on the 9th of October 2022