BLT BUILT DESIGN AWARDS: LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE
The world around us is shaped by landscape designers and architects. Our environment is constantly impacted by their work, whether it be parks and playgrounds, urban design, site planning, restoration, recreation planning, green infrastructure, or master planning and design for private, residential, or commercial spaces. The BLT Built Design Awards aim to celebrate the exceptional contribution of landscape architects, designers, managers, planners, researchers, local authorities, and more across the world.
Introduced in 2023, the Landscape Architectural Design of the Year is awarded to the most exceptional landscape design exemplary in creating ecologically sensitive, exceptionally resilient and forward-thinking environments with a great impact on the community. The award recognizes planning, design, management, and nurturing of the built and natural environments.
Landscape Architectural Design of the Year: Professional
Emerging Landscape Architect of the Year: Student
The Landscape Architectural Design of the Year category awards aesthetically impressive projects, showing clear evidence that the many challenges of today’s world are taken into consideration. These challenges include the demands of increasing populations, creating a sustainable ecosystem for smart cities, continuing and rapid urbanization, and unprecedented climate crises.
Students and young designers are also encouraged to apply for a chance to be awarded the title of Emerging Landscape Architect of the Year. This prize is awarded to the student who has demonstrated a new vision and extensive devotion to architecture.
The Landscape Architectural Design of the Year and Emerging Landscape Architect of the Year winning projects will be showcased to a global audience, be featured in the BLT awards book of Design, and be given the opportunity to share more of their vision and project in the winner’s interviews. They will also receive the BLT Built Design Awards trophy, enjoying continued and extensive publicity throughout the year, in addition to:
- Inclusion in the winning media campaign, targeting industry professionals and potential clients worldwide
- Feature in the BLT Awards newsletter sent to over 100,000 design professionals, and leading architectural and interior design firms
- All-year-round profile in the BLT Awards online architecture directory, making it easier for clients to find and contact your company
- Winner Certificates (Digital)
- Winner’s seal to promote your win online — add it to your professional signature and throughout your printed material
- Cultural Heritage Landscape
- Commercial Landscape
- Conceptual Landscape
- Educational Landscape
- Hotel & Resort Landscape
- Industrial Landscape
- Institutional Landscape
- Large-Scale Landscape Project
- Master Planning
- Park and Garden Landscape
- Play space Landscape
- Public Landscape
- Residential Landscape
- Rural Design
- Small-Scale Landscape Project
- Sustainable development
- Urban Design
- Urban Planning
- Other Landscape Architecture
Entries can be submitted as conceptual designs, in progress, or as completed projects. The only restriction is that entries or completed projects must be no more than five years old.
Entries should include images of each side of the building or environment along with the contextual surroundings. Please include floor and small-scale site plans showing the project in its context. Where a project is a group of buildings, entrants should provide a rendering that illustrates the complete project. If the entry concerns an alteration or restoration, please include both before and after images.
Submissions can be made as a professional or as a student. Winners are chosen based on a single project – not for a body of work.
- Provide a brief description of the software, process, or innovation
- Provide a Designer and Company Profile
- Give names of those who should be credited for the Manufacturer, Design firms, and Construction company…
- Up to 10 images of your system, and innovation, including an optional company logo
- If the entry is about an alteration or restoration, please include both before and after images.
- System Specification PDF – recommended
The BLT Built Design Awards are open to anyone aged 18+ residing anywhere in the world. Professional entries will be judged against other professionals and student entries against other students.
For more information please check the FAQ page or download the BLT Awards Entry Guide 2023.
The evaluation process for entries to the BLT Built Design Awards is based on various judging criteria. These are constantly adapted and updated, in response to new technical, social, economic, and ecological requirements. The criteria are not comprehensive and not all criteria are applied to each project, they simply provide an orientation framework and basis for judging — which is complemented by each individual juror’s expertise and socio-cultural background.
Each member of the jury is passionately committed to providing a fair evaluation. Jury members are assigned categories based on their specific backgrounds and expertise. All projects are viewed and judged randomly and anonymously, in order to ensure unbiased and fair judging.
The judging criteria include the following:
- Aesthetics — form, shape, color, texture, finishing, the material used, etc
- Innovation — does the design provide something new to the market or supplement/improve an existing structure?
- Practicality / Functionality – ease of cleaning, safety, maintenance…
- Ergonomics — How is the interaction with the client? Space optimization?
- Durability — the quality and longevity of the product/material
- Impact — the benefit delivered to the client and/or society by the Design
- Integration — about the integration of the project to its local environment
- Ecological compatibility — potential environmental and/or ecological impact
- Enhancement — in addition to fulfilling its practical purpose, does the product /material bring another dimension, satisfaction to the project?
The BLT Built Design Awards use a Scoring System between 10-100 points.
ENTRY FEES 2023
- Professional CHF 260 incl. VAT ( approx: US$280)
- Same entry in additional categories at a 50% discount
- Student CHF 80 incl. VAT ( approx: US$87)
- Same entry in additional categories at a 50% discount
No Further Fees: Unlike some other design awards and competitions, there are no further fees for winning the award: everything listed in the winner’s benefits will be provided free of charge.
DEADLINES: 2023 BLT Built Design Awards
- Open December 2022
- 10% Early Bird discount until April, 30th, 2023
- 5% Extended Early Bird discount until the May 31st, 2023
- Regular Deadline: June, 30th, 2023
- Final Deadline: August 19th (10% late fee applies) till September 2nd, 2023