SANDCRAPPER: Making sandstorms a lasting treasure
Winner in Architectural Design - Industrial
Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Grenoble
MEKEMTA Jodel Bismarc
The north of china, latin america, north and west africa, europe, asia and the Middle east.
SANDCRAPPER is an infrastructure of organic form inspired by the human lung. The project consists in purifying the air after a sand and dust storm. The objective is to produce clean air, to separate and valorize the particles suspended in the polluted air into materials via 3D printer, and to develop market gardening by the water resulting from the photocatalysis. In a context of accelerated population growth and global health crisis, this project provides a sustainable solution to the problems related to air pollution by sand and dust storms.
Our project is located in desert and semi-arid areas, because these areas are at risk, the current climate changes also represent aggravating factors. Indeed, many countries have been victims of these phenomena recently. Dust concentrations above or equal to 200 ?g/m3 have been relatively high, exceeding the limit required by the WHO (50 ?g/m3).
The translucent shell is made from a polymer called polyether ether ketone (PEEK). This is a thermoplastic that is highly resistant to extreme conditions. The membrane is lined with solar collectors to ensure energy autonomy. The organic metallic structure is inspired by pulmonary capillaries.
Bio I'm from Cameroon and currently living in France. I'm an architect graduated from EAMAU in 2021 and now preparing my Master degree in innovation design at ENSA Grenoble. I have won several international competitions on skyscrapers, refugee shelters, sea level project, health care project, and many others, all published in many international magazines. I have also collaborated with different architects in many projects. So I could easily combine professional work and studies. I am convinced that, just as the writer heals society, architecture teaches,shares,balances and gives us a second life.
Other prizes - Architecture Master Prize - Industrial Building Award, November 2021
- Speaker at the DigitalFUTURES Young: Sea Level and Climate Change,April 2021
- First Prize for Essay competition to write about Sensory Architecture organized by Archiol, February 2021
- Winner of AWARDS 37th Cycle - student category, organized by World architecture community, May 2020
- Winner of AWARDS 35th Cycle - student category, organized by World architecture community, November 2020
- First prize in skyscraper competition organized by Archeathon, February 2020
- First prize Gaudi Award Green Building Category organized by Silkmatters, November 2020
- Second Winner/ Lagos city of water competition 2020, septembre 2020
- Third Prize/ Archigenieur ; local healthcare facility in Africa, Octobre 2020
- Top 10 Entries/ Arcdeck ; The Radical design Project 2020, Août 2020
- Shortlisted/ UNI Design ; CityScraper 2020, Novembre 2020
- Shortlisted/ Art urbain ; Les villes, bourgs et villages - Les mobilités pour tous, Novembre 2020
- Shortlisted/ UNI Design ; Habitats '20 award 2020, Novembre 2020
- Shortlisted/ AWARDS 36th Cycle ; Designed 2020, Decembre 2020
- Shortlisted/ Autumn World Campus Masters Selective Graduation Design Program 2020,
- People’s Choice/ UNI Design ; HEAL + Regenerative housing for Kerala, Fevrier 2019
- 19th place / World Architecture Project Competition 2020/ KASLIK WORKSHOP, Decembre 2020,